Photographing the natural beauty Southern California offers is such a joy. But besides its beaches, mountains, and deserts, it's also home to an amazing array of wildlife and plants. I'm very blessed to have peacocks/peafowl visiting my yard every day!

Some photographs are available on products in our CafePress and Zazzle shops. We've recently added jigsaw puzzles, which make great gifts.

Search this blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Peacocks...in my backyard!

When thinking about the sights in Southern California, it's a pretty safe bet that certain stereotypically "California" things come to mind: Beaches, the Hollywood sign, beautiful people with perfect bodies, and so on. But what about peacocks? Yes, peacocks!

(See our constantly growing collection of peacock pictures on Flickr.)

I had forgotten what it's like to have these majestic, beautiful, colorful birds wandering through my neighborhood and yard, but now that I've been back a while I can't imagine life without them. The peacocks--or, more accurately, peafowl--in my neighborhood originated at what's now the Los Angeles County Arboretum in the 1800s. Eventually they spread out over the surrounding areas and are now as much a part of the scenery as the palm trees and San Gabriel mountains.

Every day I get to see peacocks and peahens in my neighborhood and yards. I consider myself very lucky that I can sit on my patio and snap photographs of these spectacular birds, up close and personal.

This closeup of a peacock with his feathers fanned is one of my favorites, and it's available on assorted merchandise on CaliforniaDreamsPhotography.com.

Peacock photography on assorted merchandise at CaliforniaDreamsPhotography.com


;;;

No comments:

Post a Comment